Peace




Pastor Kase Kuykendall

      In 1955 the minimum wage was seventy five cents an hour.  That is the year I turned 14 and began working at a dime store after school.  Being a student, they only paid me thirty cents an hour.  Since I paid for all my clothes and other expenses, except for the food I ate at home and a roof over my head, the thirty cents didn't go far. That summer when East Side Baptist Church in Killeen,Texas payed my way to go to summer camp, it was a blessing.  In one of my classes, my youth leader's wife shared a Bible verse that meant a lot to her. "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God and to those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28, NKJV) Because the conflict and violence in my home didn't make sense to me, the verse became my special lifeline.
     With the reality of COVID-19, we all need hope, peace, and comfort. Kase Kuykendall, a pastor at Woodland Hills Baptist Church in Longview, Texas, makes the characters of the Bible come alive in all his sermons.  Knowing that the gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John is written to give us all three, he shared one of his favorite verses, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes......."  (Romans 1:16)
    While writing today, I came across another good verse.  "Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in peace." (Romans 12:12) All of the above Bible verses can be our lifeline and give us peace.


Peace 

I saw trouble marching upon earth's lofty shore.

I ran until I could run no more.

It scattered about in unseen chaotic frenzy.

The days gone by oh how I envy.

Then I remembered the teachings from my youth.

God said he loves me and that's the truth.

I got on my knees and said a prayer.

When I got up, I no longer felt despair.

He's always with me as I travel through life.

There's no need to have all this fear and strife.

If things become more than I can bare,

I have his assurance my burdens He'll share.

Because He's been with me from the start,

My days are filled with peace in my heart.

                                  Patricia Westbrook


     "Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  (Romans 15:13)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Still Loves Me

The Joy in One's Heart

The Marriage Song