A Precious Gift


     The year 1967 happened to be the roughest year our family of six had ever experienced.  My husband worked hard as a bull dozer operator, but in the late fall and early winter things slowed  down. Yet we always had enough money for groceries, so each week I traveled nine miles from Milano, TX. to Rockdale, TX. to a Brookshire's store.

     A couple of months before Christmas they had a contest giving away green stamps. One afternoon while shopping, the store manager went to the office and brought me a sealed envelope with a ticket inside.  When I went there after the contest ended, she asked,  "Have you turned your ticket in?"  Since I didn't have it with me, I answered, "No!" As she walked away, she looked back at me and said, "Be sure you do."

     When I got home, I steamed the envelope open, and inside were the words 55,000 green stamps. With excitement as quick as I could, I rushed back to the store to claim the unexpected windfall that would bless our family. That year Christmas day began with the celebration of Christ, and with the ripping of paper from the many presents under the tree.

    

A Precious Gift

The Christmas story is old I know.

Yet even today it's loved when told.

When the wise men followed a star,

They journeyed by faith from afar.

A precious gift they expected to find.

It would bring peace to all mankind.

If we take the time to kneel and pray,

The gift is true  in our lives today.

 Jesus's birth gave hope to the world.

He brought love to each boy and girl.

If you open your heart and let Him in,

The Christmas story will begin again.

                            Patricia Westbrook

"Peace, I leave with you, My peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (Luke 14:27 KJV)

Comments

  1. Such a sweet story of God's supplying greatly your need. Lots of licking! :) Those S/G green stamps bought special items for us too during my growing up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He Still Loves Me

The Joy in One's Heart

The Marriage Song