State of Mind

JT Westbrook

    Being covered in dirt from head to toe is one of the hazards of being a bulldozer operator. Not
only that, at times, the pay only covered necessities. My husband worked hard for our family. and it was appreciated.

      In order not to strain our budget, I did my best to fulfill our children's sweet tooth. I would dip rose petals in peanut butter mixed with honey instead of buying candy.  Sugar, water, and vanilla slowly cooked to a caramel state then added to whipped egg whites became their favorite treat.  They called it calf slobber. If I made a cake and we didn't have any milk, I used a can of pumpkin for the liquid. Once a cake recipe called for sour cream.  Instead of going to the store, I found a package of powdered sour cream in the cabinet and used that. When I poured it in the batter, I realized it had garlic in it.  For fun I added food coloring to the icing.  The cake turned out purple with a garlic taste.  The children loved it.

     Looking back, those days are some of my happiest memories.  We didn't need a lot of money to be happy.  

     State of Mind

Happiness can be a state of mind.

It isn't very hard to find.

Relax, let your inner child free.

Dance through life, and just be.

As you go at your pace.

Put a smile on your face.

Sing the song only you sing.

Life happens with what you bring.

So, spread Joy along the way.

Make happiness happen each blessed day.

                 Patricia Westbrook








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Still Loves Me

The Joy in One's Heart

The Marriage Song