Envy

   

   Diana Westbrook

     Jealousy, the green-eyed monster, can enter a person's life at any age.  The day my daughter had two friends over to spend the night is when I realized that.  While they were here, a nice-looking, fun-loving, neighbor boy came to visit.  One of the girls had announced earlier before his arrival that she had a crush on him which meant he was off limits to the other two.  Her announcement didn't keep the other two from teasing him and flirting.  She got so angry it was even evident to me.  In order to defuse the situation, I decided to have a talk with the three of them.  That night when they went to bed, I entered their bedroom and sat down.  I talked about jealousy and how it can affect us.  Then I said, "Girls, sometimes we have to watch out for the green-eyed monster,"

     My daughter stopped me. "Mom, you shouldn't say that."

     I asked, "Why?"

     She replied, "Because her last name is Green."

     To be honest after that I don't know what I said. I just got out of there as fast as I could.  Even with the awkwardness, the next day things seemed better.

Envy

A young man walked down the street.

He was envious of everyone he did meet.

A woman passed by without a glance.

I want her, he thought; but I have no chance.

Then he remembered what he learned in church.

God's jealous so I need to stop my search.

We're to turn to him instead of the world.

So, I'm wrong to lust after that girl.

He'll provide for me the things I need.

I'll harness my mind and check my greed.

                        Patricia Westbrook

"For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world."  (1John 2:16, NKJV).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Still Loves Me

The Joy in One's Heart

The Marriage Song