An Unanticipated Ride

     I'm not superstitious.  I just know not for any amount of money would I drive a hearse for my personal use.  That is what I use to think.  My perception changed the day my husband came home and handed me a set of keys. With a proud voice he said, "Come outside and see what I bought to go fishing in."  I walked out the door and to my surprise I saw a long white hearse made in the forties or fifties.
     Okay, I thought, you drive it and you sleep in it.  Not me!  That changed when my husband went out of town looking for work.  He took our car and left me with the hearse.  If I went anywhere, it had to be in what I swore I would never drive.
     One day, on the way to the laundromat, the three older children played in the back among the baskets of dirty clothes.  The baby and I cruised along in the front seat enjoying the Cadillac ride.  (It did have a Cadillac V-8 engine.)  When a car started to pass us, I saw a woman pointing at my children. The large windows on each side and on the back doors of the hearse made it easy for her children to see the unusual sight.  They all laughed and went on their way.
     I no longer have an aversion to riding in a hearse. When I take my last ride for my bones to be deposited in the earth, my soul will be in heaven. However, I do have a request as to how I will be dressed for the trip.                                                         
                                                                                                                



A Splash of Red

When I die, I want you to know,

This is the way I want to go.

It's not in a fancy dress or hat.

However, there's nothing wrong with that.

Jeans and a shirt, well that would work.

It doesn't matter when you put me in the dirt.

A splash of red on my lips is best.

Then, I'm ready to be laid to rest.

                   Patricia Westbrook






                  
                                                                                     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Still Loves Me

The Joy in One's Heart

The Marriage Song